By Angela Wittman
A good resource for those seeking to bring glory to God in the political arena and the voting booth is the book Explicitly Christian Politics, published by Christian Statesman Press and edited by William O. Einwechter.
In the Appendix of Explicitly Christian Politics on pages 256 and 257 under the heading The Scriptures Require Moral and Religious, not Ecclesiastical, Qualifications and Duties of Civil Officers is this list of qualifications with Scripture proofs that one can use to measure the Biblical qualifications of candidates seeking their vote:
- Civil rulers are ministers of God, deriving all just authority ultimately from Him (Prov. 8:15-16; Rom. 13:4-6).
- Civil officers hold their trust from God, through the people, to protect and enforce right, and restrain and punish evil doers (Rom. 13:4-6; 1Pet. 2:13-14).
- Hence, none but able, just, and God-fearing men should be exalted to the office of civil ruler (Ex. 18:21; 2 Sam. 23:2-3).
- When immoral men are elevated to the civil magistracy, wickedness and wicked men are encouraged (Ps. 12:8).
- Civil rulers are enjoined to learn Christ’s law, and acknowledge and obey Him as King (Ps. 2:10-12).
- They are required to consult God’s revealed law as the great law-book of the nation. (Deut. 17:18-20)
- Just and God-fearing rulers bring the clear sunshine of peace and prosperity to a nation (2 Sam. 23:3-4).
I also want to point out that when God refers to leaders, He uses masculine terms. While I can empathize with those Christian ladies who want to “clean house” in local, state and federal government by running for civil office, Scripture simply doesn’t endorse women having leadership positions over men. Instead we are commanded to be “discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed” (Titus 2:5). We Christian ladies will do well to clean our own homes while serving our families with much godly fear and Christian charity.
In conclusion, let me please encourage Christian voters to thoroughly research those running for office and see if they measure up to God’s standards as outlined above. You may have to look at those candidates running as Independents and Third Party to find a godly man you can cast your ballot for with a clear conscience. Also, research on your state’s election requirements for write-in candidates in the case your choice for office wasn’t able to obtain ballot access.
May the good Lord bless America by leading His people to vote for godly men who will implement Biblical principles into all area aspects of civil government. Amen.